Nordic Sustainability Event Checklist
Remember to practice what you preach. From the plates that you serve food on to the gender balance of your speakers – it’s important to consider both the small and big details when planning your next event on Nordic Sustainability. Below are some suggestions to help you on your way.
- Bottled water gives you bad karma: provide tap water or water in glass jugs instea
- Procure supplies, food and other services that come from distributors that care about sustainability. Avoid waste by only purchasing what you need.
- Choose a venue close to public transportation
- If you are bringing in guests from out of town, consider offsetting the carbon emissions of their travel
- Pick a venue that is LEED certified (the most widely used green building rating system in the world) or similar
- If food is served, don’t leave it to the last minute. Aim for local, seasonal and plant-based food that represents the core values of the event
- Think long and hard about who you invite both as guests and to speak. Beware of falling into the trap of SMP (‘Stale, Male and Pale’) trap – diversity is the spice of life!
- When preparing your invitee list, consider which voices and perspectives are missing from the event. Give yourself ample time to find ways to include them!
- Go digital! We already have enough paper in our lives – don’t provide paper handouts unless 100% necessary
- Make sure to post some photos on Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #TheNordics